Public Works > Snow Removal
Our Public Works Department is working hard to make driving safer and easier in snowy weather conditions. Borough trucks may plow your street several times during these inclement times. As snow rolls off our plows, it will accumulate in driveway aprons and sidewalks. Please understand that this is unavoidable and we apologize for any inconvenience you may experience while clearing your driveway after the plows have passed.To insure safety of pedestrians, residents must remove snow from sidewalks following a snow fall. During recent storms the Public Works Department observed and notified residents using snow blowers to blow all snow on lawns areas. Also, we ask residents do not shovel the snow back onto the street. Please throw snow back on to lawn areas towards your homes. Once an area is plowed curb to curb, that area is considered finished and will not be plowed again if snow is being thrown back into the street.
Here are some helpful hints to make "SNOW" business less frustrating:
- Shovel the snow to the right of your driveway (facing the street, left when facing your home) to minimize the amount of snow entering your driveway.
- If possible, wait until borough trucks have made at least three passes on your street before clearing your driveway.
- If possible, DO NOT park cars on the street from one hour after the snow had continuously fallen until 12 hours after snow has stopped...this speeds the removal process and prevents cars from being snowed in.
- Please remove portable basketball courts from the street or parking strip. The borough is not responsible for any damages incurred due to plowing.
- It takes sunlight and traffic in addition to salt and sand to completely remove ice and compacted snow from roadways. The average car length is 14 feet. If parked on the street during a snow storm the area that would have to be shoveled to park in front of a clean curb is 42 feet. The average driveway apron is 12 feet. A total of 30 feet of non-shoveling area would be gained if residents who have driveways USE them.
We thank you for your cooperation. Please call us with any comments or concerns you may have.